150 Mombasa families to move in Sh200bn housing plan
Confusion has marred efforts to develop a Sh200 billion housing scheme in Mombasa even as the county plans to move 150 families from the proposed site. The devolved unit says it will from next week start relocating tenants from government houses in Mzizima, Changamwe and Likoni Customs in the first phase of the project.At least 57 families will be evicted from Mzizima near the Kenya Medical Training College, 25 from Likoni Customs and 60 from Changamwe.Land executive Edward Nyale said the move follows an “agreement” with the tenants.“We are now in agreement with the tenants and we have explained to them all the issues that we can tackle and those that we cannot in regards to their relocation starting next month to pave the way for the project,” he said.Mr Nyale said some issues that had earlier dragged the project had been settled. The county had been at loggerheads with the tenants who had in October refused to receive the relocation notices. The residents had protested that the terms in the notice were not as per their earlier agreement with the administration.Mr Nyale said Tuesday the issues had been ironed out and construction plans would start after the relocation of tenants.