Ex-Kebs boss released on bond in Sh54m fraud suit
Former Kenya Bureau of Standards (Kebs) managing director Charles Ongwae has been charged with conspiring to defraud the government more than Sh54 million jointly with others in imports of goods.
The court released Mr Ongwae on a Sh500,000 bond and ordered him to present himself to the Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI).
“I urge that the accused avails himself to the DCI to record a statement and further processing,” said State prosecutor Annette Wangia.
She said the former Kebs boss did not appear in court on Monday when 10 other suspects were charged.
Ms Wangia did not oppose Mr Ongwae’s release since the other suspects charged Monday had been freed on bond.
A Milimani Law Courts senior principal magistrate Kennedy Cheruiyot directed Mr Ongwae to go to the DCI’s office on January 7 to record the statement and have his fingerprints taken.
A defence lawyer objected to the accused proceeding to the DCI’s office tomorrow, arguing he could form part of the trend of suspects arrested Friday and locked in until Monday.
He pleaded with the court to direct Mr Ongwae proceeds to the DCI office on January 7.
The magistrate allowed the plea and ordered Mr Ongwae to report to the DCI next week.
Mr Ongwae denied that between January 25 and 26 last year he conspired to defraud the government revenue amounting to Sh4,315,654 by unlawfully imposing a penalty of 0.5 per cent instead of 15 per cent of the total import value on imports without a certificate of conformity vide Custom entry 2018NBI1629712 contrary to legal notice number 78 of 2005 dated July 15, 2005.
He is jointly charged with Eric Chesire Kiptoo, Samuel Mburu Kamau, George Hillary Kamau, Ibrahim Twahir Muhamed, Harrison Ngigi Muchiri, M/S Gendipe Enterprises, M/S Rupai Trading Limited and Landmark Freight Services Ltd.